Can you imagine sitting in front of a bowl of chocolate eggs and not helping yourself to at least one? Well… neither can your dog! Please make sure that chocolate is stored in a safe place this Easter. Chocolate contains both caffeine and theobromine, which our pets can’t metabolise properly.
If ingested, toxicity can occur leading to vomiting, diarrhoea, and a fast heart rate. If excessive amounts are ingested and left untreated, heart rhythm disturbances and seizures can occur and can occasionally be fatal.
If you suspect your dog has eaten chocolate or is exhibiting signs, please call Allambie Vet immediately. If they have eaten enough to cause a toxic effect, we might recommend inducing vomiting and giving charcoal to reduce absorption. If affected your dog will need hospitalisation for intravenous fluids and further support.
Hot cross buns are another potential danger for dogs. Raisins, grapes, and currants can cause acute kidney failure in some dogs. We do not know why some dogs are affected and some are not, but it is not worth the risk of waiting to see! If you suspect your dog has eaten any please contact Allambie Vet immediately. If it was recently eaten, we are likely to recommend inducing vomiting and will discuss blood testing and intravenous fluid support.
Be safe this Easter and ensure all festive food is out of reach of your pooch.
Join our mailing list and be the first to receive updates from us.